Monday, March 28, 2005

Some thoughts on reading The Lord of the Rings out loud

Last night I finished reading LotR to my daughter, who is four and a half. We had started very soon after Christmas (when we had finished The Hobbit) and finished on Easter, which comes pretty close to mirroring the time it took the Frodo and Sam to go from Rivendell to Mount Doom. I absolutely loved reading the books to Rhys and watching her reactions, and 90% of the time when I was reading I wasn't analyzing, just reading. I do a few voices for her when I read (Gimli--with a Yorkshire accent--the orcs, Treebeard, Saruman), but mostly I just read.

Now I've read LotR easily 40 times, so it wasn't likely that I'd suddenly discover anything new. And my first introduction to Tolkien was my dad reading the books aloud to me, so I'm familiar with the aural effects. And yet I did notice a few things:


Tolkien spends an enormous amount of time on physical description of geography. There is just passage after passage describing, in detailed but not purple prose, the land, and the largest portion of this writing describes topography. Foliage and water flow gets some description, but topography really takes the lion's share. I think this is particularly interesting because Tolkien gets criticized regularly for archaic or inflated style, but none of that style is evident in these many, many passages.

The Fellowship of the Ring is by far the most engaging of the three books. I have always been a lover of The Return of the King because, of course, it's the climax, with the great battles, the destruction of the Ring, etc. But Fellowship is so powerful because it all happens at a much more personal level -- at least in the eyes of a four-year-old. Fellowship is also a lot scarier: the Black Riders, the Old Forest and the Barrow Downs and the Mines of Moria are just a lot more viscerally frightening than the more intellectually frightening battles and monsters later on. In fact, rather than progressively building to more and more terrifying monsters (such as whatever is living in Minas Morgul, or even Shelob), the monsters in the Shire and on its edges are more emotionally powerful. Part of this is probably due to the hobbits being on their own at the beginning, and less experienced, etc. But I think that Tolkien does a very smart thing dramatically by building up the tension so quickly even for such a long work.

"The Counsel of Elrond" is long and difficult, but not (contra so many) boring to a four-year-old. I think, though, that if I hadn't been able to explain back story, etc., it would have been more difficult for her. The most tedious chapter for her was "The Voice of Saruman" : she wasn't impressed by the rhetoric and debate.

Lothlorien, and particularly the Lady Galadriel, is incredibly powerful. Even with all the excitement throughout LotR, Rhys' favorite chapters were in Lothlorien. Her next favorite moments were Eowyn slaying the Lord of the Nazgul and the ents destroying Isengard.

I am a far bigger sap than my four-year-old daughter. Both at Thorin's death at the end of The Hobbit and the Grey Havens in LotR, I got all misty. Not so, Rhys, though she did feel very sad about Theoden's death.

UPDATE

The Silmarillion? To a four-year-old? Not as big a hit.

21 comments:

Kyle said...

How do you DO a yorkshire accent?!

I must say reading LotR aloud must be a lot more fascinating than the daily Bible reading my fiance and I do. Leviticus is excruciating when read out loud.

emily said...

I really liked the info on your site about Lord Of The Rings - nice work. I've just started my own Lord Of The Rings Secrets blog and would really appreciate you stopping by

Mike said...

Thought you would like this. a million dollars

lokokid said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link to !!Make money today

Mike said...

make money on computer
is easy. make money on computer

TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

Frank said...

You have a great blog here.

I have a business i need own start site. It's about business i need own start related stuff.

Feel free to visit and let me know what you think :-)

Livenwealthy said...

Join the only TV advertised affilated program and cash in on the masses that will be joining TVCOOP.netgetpaid

Marketing man said...

Hello, My name is Donald you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a how to make fake money site. It pretty much covers how to make fake money related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

ebgcommute said...

Hey, you have an interesting blog here! I'm definitely going to visit often!
I have a personal debt reduction practices site. It pretty much covers personal debt reduction practices related stuff.
check it out if you get time :-)

Bel-Esprint said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my ##KEYWORD## related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.making money online

Livenwealthy said...

Join the only TV advertised affilated program and cash in on the masses that will be joining TVCOOP.netreferrals clubs

credit cards now said...

i liked youir blog but how do u extra home make money with no google adsense? my girlfriend taught me how to extra home make money with adsense, u should try

Jack Naka said...

I have a fashion bug.com site. It pretty much covers fashion bug.com related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

Kabbs said...

making money on the internet

ebgcommute said...

Hey, good stuff!
I have a debt consolidation programs site. It pretty much covers debt consolidation programs related stuff.
Check it out later :-)

harvir said...

Veryyyyyyyyy nice blog i kinda like it coz it got alot of information that can be useful for me very informative you go guys and one thing more i got a site that i prefer to everybody maybe you will like it to go have a look in your free timeBest home based business idea

Marian said...

Hi, thanks for this very informative blog. I'm a fan of making my residual income from home. I'm thankful for every information that would increase my sales...Thanks again! internet business ideas

http://www.bayarealawyers.com said...

Debt Consolidation Debt Consolidation Programs can help you reduce your interest burden by charging an interest rate lower than the rate on your existing loans. Debt consolidation loan can also allow you to make small monthly payments by extending the loan period

http://www.debt-consolidation.com said...

Debt Settlement
Debt Consolidation can help you reduce your interest burden by charging an interest rate lower than the rate on your existing loans. Debt consolidation loan can also allow you to make small monthly payments by extending the loan period

Debt Settlement
Debt Consolidation can help you reduce your interest burden by charging an interest rate lower than the rate on your existing loans. Debt consolidation loan can also allow you to make small monthly payments by extending the loan period