Monday, July 18, 2005

On NPR Tonight, July 18, 2005

I'm going to be on WBUR's "On Point" tonight talking about Harry Potter and Tolkien from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern (they tell me I'll actually start talking around 8:20 if you'd like to listen). I don't know if there's a streamcast, but here's a link to the show On Point : J.K Rowling's Literary Work ['nother update: that link gives you both wmv and realplayer options to hear the piece. even though they didn't put my name on the page, I'm on the program]

UPDATE: I've figured out the streamcast now: go to the main page of WBUR and then click on the "Listen Now" icon at the top left.

UPDATE AGAIN: Well that was fun. And it was very cool to be paired with another Anglo-Saxonist, Seth Lerer, who is a prof at my old school. I don't think the host knew we were both Anglo-Saxonists, though.

What's also very funny is that my dad, after finishing listening to my Chaucer course on CD, started listening to Seth's History of the English Language course on CD. So it must have seemed to him that the once-and-future commute had arrived...

I'll post a link to the archived show when it comes up.

4 comments:

Kate Marie said...

Thanks for distinguishing between Allan Bloom and Harold Bloom on the show this evening.

I'm intrigued as to why you consider Allan Bloom equally as annoying as Harold Bloom, though I'm in sympathy with you about HB's annoying qualities!

Michael said...

It's very cool that someone was listening.
I read Closing of the American Mind when I was a callow undergraduate in 1987, so take this with grains of salt, but I felt that Bloom had a good argument and then let his tendency to be a scold take over. The idea that starting out with rock music would ruin one for later liking Mozart was so exactly the opposite of my experience (and that of a pretty good group of friends who liked both a lot) that I stopped trusting in Bloom then.
Also there's something about that UofC magisterial style that sets my teeth on edge (though I love Saul Bellow...).
So that's where the "equally annoying" quip came from.

Kate Marie said...

I was listening, and I enjoyed your comments very much.

Thanks for your reply about Bloom. I agree that Bloom did a lot of finger-wagging, especially in the music chapter, but I forgave the scolding because I liked the general argument. But, like you, I read the book a long time ago . . .

Natalia said...

My Mac refuses to stream the audio, somehow... : (

That U of C magisterial impulse is what seems to produce all the letters in the alumni magazine from the old farts who write stuff like "I never thought I'd see the day when the U of C would sink so low as to have a film major! Whatever happened to scholarship??" Yeah, lovely, guys.