Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Foreword to The Last Man Anthology: Tales of Catastrophe, Disaster and Woe (a memoire of my being a department chair -- just kidding)

I wrote a Foreword to this anthology of science fiction stories and poems.  I ended up surprising myself and saying that in the end they are tales of hope (the title is "A Paradox: Tales of Hope").  You can read the essay and a sample of works from the anthology at Sword and Saga Press.  

Comment from my daughter on the title:  "Daddy, who on earth is going to buy a book that says 'Tales of Woe' on the cover?"

That's a good question, but it's a good collection of pieces, some classic and some brand new, so I guess the answer is "I would."

(please ignore the grotesque grammatical infelicity that I of course didn't notice in the entire editing process but saw immediately when I opened the book).

1 comment:

Jason Fisher said...

Comment from my daughter on the title: "Daddy, who on earth is going to buy a book that says 'Tales of Woe' on the cover?"

This put me in mind of the sequel to Walter Wangerin, Jr.'s The Book of the Dun Cow, which is called The Book of Sorrows. And boy, does it live up to its name!