Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Synchronicity


On Thursday night I was having a discussion with my wife about the next "chapter book" that our daughter might read.
"I think she'd really like The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet," I said.

Friday was library day, and for the first time in a while my wife was able to join us. In the foyer there is a shelf of donated books for sale for a quarter each. "Look," I said, holding one up.
It was The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet

"Another one of those weird coincidences that follow you around," she said. "Remember last year when you mentioned The Phantom Tollbooth, and it was right there in the pile the next day. The library knows what you're thinking."

Next morning, I read Glenn Reynolds: "THE INSTA-DAUGHTER is sitting next to me on the sofa, reading The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, a book that I liked a lot when I was 9."

Yes, just a weird little coincidence or two. Not statistically significant. But interesting all the same when you're caught up in it.

Blogging will hopefully improve tomorrow. I mailed off one new article (making that two new for the summer thus far) and did a set of proofs, then met with a former student, trained a new student how to order books for me from bibliographies, and tried to catch up on email. And cooked meatloaf, played baseball with 15-month-old son (who seems to bat lefty -- yay!!), read Lord of the Rings to daughter and watched the first two innings of the All-Star Game with her.

1 comment:

Fred said...

What? No Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates?